Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Black Music Month 2015 - Album Review(s) (#2)



Ah, I couldn't wait to listen to and share my thoughts on this album...





During the week, I was able to listen to some unsung music from the 90's--among the tunes were Lisa Fischer's sole studio album, So Intense. It is on this album that we can hear the Grammy-winning single, "How I Can Ease the Pain".


Source


For me, there was a positive in watching 20 Feet From Stardom and a negative--specifically in relation to Lisa Fischer and So Intense. 20 Feet From Stardom introduced (and re-introduced) me to so many legendary and ridiculously talented women--Lisa Fischer being one of them, of course. If I didn't watch the documentary, I may have never listened to So Intense, so that's the positive. Now, the negative...

 
As I listened to this album, I felt like the Lisa Fischer I'd come to know through the documentary didn't shine through. The album is nice--it's absolutely a 90's jam--and Ms. Fischer sang her face off, as usual. But it just didn't seem like her, you know? It's hard to put into words why I feel this way about the album...I just don't think it did her full range of vocal talent justice.


Source

 Plus, on some of the songs, the music overpowered her breathy vocals--seemingly only turning down the volume when she hit a high (or strong) note--and even that rarely happened. Now, that isn't to say that Ms. Fischer wasn't singing loud enough--but more like, the producer was in the booth like, "Man, this instrumental is hot! Turn it up some more! A little louder...yeah...a little over Lisa." But I digress...


But you know what, even with all of that said, I'd still include some of the tracks on a party mix. My favorite songs from the album: the palpitation-inducing "How Can I Ease the Pain", the jammin' first track, "Save Me", the title track, "So Intense", and another heart-string tugger, "Last Goodbye".


Source







No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Be respectful. Be rated PG.

Powered By Blogger