Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Wizard of Oz: Coming in 3D!



As I write this post, I can hear the "Main Title" song playing in my head--the booming sounds coming from that great studio orchestra (I'll have to look them up one day); the roaring of Leo (actually, "Jackie") the Lion. Every time I hit 'play' on the DVD, I anxiously await that music. Every time. For me, it marks the beginning of an hour-and-a-half long adventure.

Music for The Wizard of Oz being recorded (from Wikipedia)

The young'un in me never gets tired of watching The Wizard of Oz. The aspiring filmmaker in me DEFINITELY never tires of it. The movie is a timeless masterpiece--I always call it "a filmmaker's dream". It's actually the dream of everyone in the filmmaking industry--from the special effects man/woman to the director to the extra; or at least I think it should be.

The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Edition DVD--I own this. Sure wish I owned the Ultimate Collector's Edition!

As you can tell by this blog, I'm a girl with an affinity for entertainment of the past, so I've often wondered, What would be like if I were alive to see The Wizard of Oz when it originally opened in theaters? I've always pictured myself as a teenager: my hair pinned up, wearing saddle shoes; standing in a long line at an Art Deco-designed movie theater, purchasing my ticket at the box office. I sit in the balcony take a seat with some popcorn and patiently wait for this movie to start...and so on and so forth... 


I've pictured that moment probably a thousand times--I love the movie that much. Now, I am happy to finally get a chance to make this fantasy a reality. The Wizard of Oz is coming to IMAX theaters on September 20th and I couldn't be more excited. 

Now, I've seen a lot of people saying "Ugh! I hate 3D!" "3D ruins everything!" "It doesn't need to be in 3D!" blah, blah, blah, but as far as I'm concerned--The Wizard of Oz (1939) is coming to theaters in 2013. I get the opportunity to see one of the greatest movies in Film History on a big screen--with surround sound and popcorn.

It could be in 4D or 40DD for all I care--I'm GOING to it.

Theatrical release poster (from Wikipedia)

Check out the corny trailer for The Wizard of Oz: An IMAX 3D Experience:



(But no, seriously--this trailer does the movie absolutely NO justice. Check out the EPIC (and nostalgic) original trailer)



For more information on The Wizard of Oz: An IMAX 3D Experience


Will YOU be checking it out?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Be respectful. Be rated PG.

Powered By Blogger